In 1856, District of Sultanpur was formed. The district assumed its present shape in 1869. A scheme for the appointment of village Munsifs was introduced in 1902.There are two regular District Munsifs and a Subordinate Judge for civil work. The District is included in the Civil Judgeship of Rae Bareli and in the Sessions division of Faizabad.
Sultanpur Judgeship was bifurcated from Faizabad Judgeship and it come into existence in 11th March,1956 vide G.O. no. 1749/VI-708/55 Dated Lucknow, July 11, 1955. The name of first District Judge was “Sri Tara Chand Kapoor” and the joining date of Hon’ble District Judge was 28th July,1956.
Justice Dr. P. Dayal was the first eminent Learned District Judge of this Judgeship who was elevated to the Hon’ble High Court of judicature at Allahabad.
The sanctioned strength at the initial stage when court started its first functioning :-
- District and Sessions Judgeship
- Munsif Court North
- Munsif Court South